RE: [ontac-forum] John Sowa

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 16:58:16 +0100
Dear John,    (01)

You've said this more than once, so I'm going to pick you up on it here:    (02)

> the upper level
> is much less important than the middle levels, and most of the
> axioms necessary for any practical problem are in the lowest
> levels of the microtheories.    (03)

This does not accord with my experience at least. I find 3 key relations
that turn up in any upper ontology that are important at any level, and
particularly in a 4D ontology turn up everywhere. These are:    (04)

 - Whole-part
 - Class-member
 - Superclass-subclass    (05)

There are also various classes of these that are also useful and belong at
this level.    (06)

I will grant that there is not much else, but I find that these are much
more important than anything else at this or any other level. So I think
you should be more careful about such sweeping statements.    (07)

Regards    (08)

Matthew    (09)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (010)