RE: [ontac-forum] Re: ontac-forum Digest, Vol 13, Issue 2

To: "'ONTAC-WG General Discussion'" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:32:15 +0100
Dear Ed,    (01)

I liked the paper, and agree that the methodology affects one's perspective
on what an ontology is, but have a few points.    (02)

1) You do not seem to cover the re-engineering of ontologies from legacy
business application systems. Maybe I am mis-reading, but the methodologies
you describe seem to start with corpuses that are linguistic.    (03)

2) You classify philosophical as
"Type 1: Abstract feature recombination (the philosophers) . The procedure
of concept creation by additive
feature specification-systematically adding new differentiae-is the
historical method of ontologization;
interesting examples can be found all the way back to Aristotle."    (04)

I think this is a little narrow. I would suggest that a philosophical
ontology is one where the top-level distinctions are philosophically
motivated. I think this better describes DOLCE and other efforts.    (05)

I suppose I am suggesting the list you have may not be exhaustive. As an
example of a methodology that is based upon a 'philosophical ontology' and
involves the re-engineering of legacy systems you could look at Part Six of
my book -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0955060303/qid=1147681404/sr=8-2/re
f=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-3709124-5923820    (06)

Hopefully this will provide a useful counter-example to your comment about
philosophical ontlogies:
"The approach is elegant, but unfortunately doesn't work
beyond the very most abstract levels, and is hence not very useful for
practical domain ontologies."    (07)

It should also provide a the beginnings of a counter-example to the claim
that having a common upper ontology across a federation of inter-operating
systems is "impossible".    (08)

Best regards,
Chris Partridge    (09)