[ontac-forum] Re: [ontolog-forum] GEM as General Ontology (orthogonal to

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:41:21 -0800
Roy,    (01)

While I'll let the ontologist react to your input from the ontological
engineering perspective, I would like to comment on your:    (02)

> [RR]   I know my "approach" is not "formal" enough for some in the Ontolog
>community ...    (03)

[ppy] your statement above is somewhat misconstrued. It may be the
case (you probably would know better than anyone of us) that "your
ontology" may not be formally expressed, and, as such, does not fall
into the scope of what the organizers and conveners of the Upper
Ontology Summit were addressing at that event, that does not mean it
is not a subject of interest to the Ontolog community.    (04)

Ontolog is an "open" community of practice with a clear, member
adopted charter (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB) ... and as
you can see under the first bullet, the discussion on BOTH "formal"
and "informal" ontologies are within the scope of our charter.
Therefore, things that don't fit into one project (the Upper Ontology
Summit being a case in point) does not mean it is beyond the scope of
other community projects. [Another example, a discussion of an
ontology for electronic health records would be totally inappropriate
under our [CCT-Rep] project (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CctRepresentation), but is
perfectly relevant in the community's [NHIN-RFI-Response] project
(ref: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NhinRfi).]    (05)

Other relevant behaviors that the has been part of the community's
culture include: (i) our abiding to an open IPR policy (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32), and (ii)
a self-disciplined professionalism where "no un-invited self
promotion" (as in the spirit stated at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RecommendedReadingResource#nidANP)
is observed and appreciated of the membership. We want our open
collaborative environment to be a workspace for professional exchange,
and not a free commercial billboard for the ontology industry.    (06)

I thank you for giving me a chance to re-state these cultural aspects
of the Ontolog community. I hope the above will dispel some of the
misunderstanding for those who have joined us more recently (or those
have not had a chance to retrace the growth and history of this
community.) I truly believe we need to keep the culture to maintain
the hard earned trust and respect among the Ontolog membership and the
quality of our functions.    (07)

Regards.  =ppy    (08)

P.S. please note that while there is a considerable overlap in the
community membership, Ontolog and ONTAC have very different charters
and projects. =ppy