Re: Re:[ontac-forum] Future directions for ontologies and terminologies

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ontac-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 10:12:09 -0500
All,    (01)

I would quality the 'type of taxonomy' that WordNet represents - this is a
lexical network.   Taxonomy is too broad a term to use here.  Just so people
don't misinterpret it as a hierarchical or class hierarchy.  WordNet does have
part of speech tagging for words - not concepts - which takes us a baby step
towards understanding context.   It provides a base for doing semantic
extraction, but it is not sufficient for understanding the use of those words in
a domain context.    (02)

Concept extraction tools have to have something like WordNet at the base to
extract and tag words, but you still need to overlay a domain lexicon to take
the next step towards understanding.    (03)

Best regards,
Denise    (04)

             "Azamat"
             <abdoul@cytanet
             .com.cy>                                                        To
             Sent by:                "ONTAC-WG General Discussion"
             ontac-forum-bou         <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             nces@xxxxxxxxxx                                                 cc
             .net
                                                                        Subject
                                     Re: Re:[ontac-forum] Future directions for
             12/30/2005              ontologies and     terminologies
             03:31 PM                                                      (05)

             Please respond
                ONTAC-WG
                 General
               Discussion
             <ontac-forum@co
              lab.cim3.net>                                                (06)

BlankLucian wrote:    (07)

''Prof. Christiane Fellbaum is the current Principal Investigator (PI) on
the WordNet project (Prof. George Miller who started WordNet is old enough
that I had him as an instructor for a General Education course while an
undergraduate, so is no longer working full time).  She makes the following
distinction between WordNet and other Ontologies. WordNet is a lexical
ontology.''    (08)

Lucian,    (09)

WordNet is a very valuable lexical resource and maybe one of the most
comprehensive semantic taxonomies of words; you may be proud with the
involvement with this great project much exceeding all the extant ''upper
ontologies''.
It is very sad that Prof. George Miller can't care for his brainchild; for
now I see the reason why WordNet 2.1 classification is not so ontologically
consistent as the previous edition. In the current version, it needs an
essential reclassification according to the nature of world entities and
relations, i.e., an adequate mapping to the ontological classes. This is
what has been done in USECS (Universal Standard Entity Classification
System), which you can download from the website, http://www.eis.com.cy.
Below is the open (dynamic, not static) framework of topmost classes of
things and relationships rationally arranging the WordNet's top semantic
types as well as the upper ontologies' basic classes:    (010)

SUBSTANCE, substrate, stuff: the class of substances (objects, material or
nonmaterial, spatial or non-spatial, physical or mental, concrete or
abstract)    (011)

WordNet 2.0: entity {thing; causal agent or cause; substance or matter;
object or physical object (whole or unit, natural object, living or animate
thing (plant, flora; animal, fauna; person, human being)); artifact or
artifact)}, group or grouping, psychological feature {cognition, knowledge
(mind, head, brain, psyche or nous, content or mental object, lexis,
vocabulary, information, place, and public knowledge, history)}, abstraction
(set);
WordNet 2.1: entity {physical entity (thing; object, physical object;
substance, matter; causal agent), abstract entity (group, grouping; set)};    (012)

Roget?s Thesaurus: matter;
EuroWordNet: 1st order entity (origin, form, composition, function);
EDR: subject or human (person, animal, body or group, supernatural being),
matter (thing or concrete object, objective subject);
SUMO: physical object (self-connected object, collection, agent, region),
abstract object (set or class, graph);
CYC: individual (spatial thing), mathematical or computational thing (set or
collection), groups, parts of objects, composition of substances, agents,
organizations, actors, materials, devices, construction, food, clothing);
DOLCE: aggregate (amount of matter, arbitrary collection), object (physical
object, mental object, social object), feature (relevant part, place)};
Sowa: objects;
Knowledge Machine Component Library: entities (things, or objects);
WebKB-2: entities (spatial objects and non-spatial objects);
OWL: classes and individuals    (013)

STATE, the class of properties, qualities, and quantities    (014)

WordNet 2.0: state, phenomenon (state of matter), abstraction (attribute
(property, quality, shape or form), quantity and amount or measure or
quantum), possession, psychological feature (cognition, knowledge (ability,
inability, attitude);
WordNet 2.1: abstract entity {attribute (state; quality, property; shape,
form; human nature, character, personality); measure, quantity, amount};    (015)

Roget?s Thesaurus: quantity, number;
EuroWordNet: 2nd order entity (static situation and situation component,
condition, existence, quantity);
EDR: event/occurrence (condition/state);
SUMO: abstract object (quantity, attribute, internal);
CYC: intangible individual (static situation, attribute value);
DOLCE: quality (color, size, shape, smell), quality region (qualia),
occurrence (state)
KM Component Library: properties, states;
OWL: properties (monadic)    (016)

CHANGE, the class of actions, activities, and processes    (017)

WordNet: event (happening, occurrence or natural event), phenomenon (natural
phenomenon, consequence or effect, process), act, human action or human
activity, abstraction (relation, change), psychological feature (cognition,
knowledge, process; feeling; motive, motivation or need);
WordNet 2.1: entity {physical entity (cause; process, physical process),
abstract entity (psychological feature (cognition, knowledge; motivation,
motive, need; event)};    (018)

Roget?s Thesaurus: change;
EuroWordNet: 2nd order entity (situation type, dynamic, situation component,
cause, experience);
EDR: event or occurrence (phenomenon, action or deed, movement, change in
state or change in condition);
Sowa: processes;
SUMO: physical process (internal change, intentional change, dual object
change, shape change, motion);
CYC: partially intangible (event), doing, transformations, changes of state,
transfer of possession, movement, emotion, perception, waves;
DOLCE: occurrence (dynamic events, processes and accomplishments);
KM Component Library: events (actions and processes)    (019)

RELATION, the class of relations    (020)

WordNet 2.0: abstraction (relation, time, space), state (relationship,
relationship);
WordNet 2.1: entity {abstract entity (relation; communication; attribute
(time, space, or infinite, temporal property)};    (021)

Roget?s Thesaurus: relation, causation, order, time, space
 EuroWordNet: 2nd order entity (situation type, static, relation, situation
component, communication);
 EDR: location, locale, place, time;
 SUMO: abstract object (relation, proposition, attribute, relational);
 CYC: mathematical object (relation, formal), temporal relations (times and
dates), spatial relations;
 DOLCE: quality (position and place, time interval), quality region (space,
time);
 KM Component Library: entity (object)-to-entity (object) relations,
event-to-event relations, event-to-object relations;
 WebKB-2: entity (object)-to-entity(object) relations;
 OWL: set-theoretical properties (relations)    (022)

Wish for the WordNet team to keep up the good work.
Azamat Abdoullaev
EIS Ltd    (023)