[ontac-forum] FW: [protege-owl] Encountering a Similar Problem when load

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: mwronko@xxxxxxxx
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:14:24 -0700

I am forwarding this message, which came in today, just to place into the
record what tremendous effort is required to do ontology with Protege, after
11 years of development.    (01)

Someone has to be very dedicated to using OWL and Protege to even make such
a message to the forum.    (02)

Many many messages are more primitive than this one, from individuals who
would like to develop ontology for specific reasons, but then fail to ever
overcome the initial round of software problems.    (03)

The inclusion of OIL (ie first order predicate and description logics) into
the RDF standard is only part of the reason why Protege is failing to be a
complete tool that is sufficient to building and expressing ontology.    (04)

ONTAC needs to be real about these real community concerns about OWL and
Protege.  We need to move on and look at the OASIS standards and at web
service paradigms that are functional, user friendly and have the proper
utility.    (05)

Separating the specification of concepts "as frames" from the mechanisms of
first order logic is vital to progress, in my opinion.  Being able to
separately develop the mechanism for logical computation is easily possible
if we just decide that doing this would make things simpler.    (06)