[ontac-forum] how to model context

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:02:22 -0700

Roy,    (01)

We feel that your appraoch is very consistant with approaches being defined
by OASIS... and others.  We must focus on what specially the common and
proper appraoch is, given that we are where we are in history.  (I look at
John, if we are careful we may be able to do something here that has not
been done before..?)    (02)

Cory's note (below) that we should not make it difficult to RE-attach logics
(of what ever form) is THE KEY, in my opinon also, to getting John Sowa's
Unified Framework in place .    (03)

is this how you see it , John?    (04)

If so, then I feel that the group should focus on how this might be done.
Say, in how some subset of the SUMO concepts might be separated from the
notion of logic or reasoning.  Creating a controlled vocabulary and a simple
graph is what I have suggested... the result would be the set of syntagmatic
triples    (05)

    { < a(i), r, a(j) > }    (06)

where the triple is oriented to specifying the relationship between two or
more concepts and the set of concepts is enumerated as    (07)

      { a(q) | q is an simple counting or ordering index }    (08)

Note that the notion of a three layer database architecture was to
completely separate the data from the logic, and the presentation is then
also completely separated.....  I know that many here knows this history..
n-tier stuff. etc.... but the argument    (09)

   that ontologists should separate the logic
   from the ontology concepts    (010)

seems to parallel that n-tier history in the database world.  Cory is
stating the obvious, very well, in pointing out that the separation should
not undo anyone's work.  John makes the same observation about the need to
not undo anyone's work.    (011)

We need a few people who really understand the issues to step in here...    (012)

and we need the common set of SUMO concepts (with some minimal set of
properties - like what is being discussed by Geoff and I)    (013)

http://www.ontologystream.com/beads/nationalDebate/292.htm
http://www.ontologystream.com/beads/nationalDebate/293.htm    (014)

Paul Prueitt    (015)