RE: [ontac-forum] Semantic Interoperability: Sowa's Collectionof Modules

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:47:07 -0000
Dear Barry,    (01)

See below.    (02)

> This describes exactly the methodology of BFO, as described here for
> the biomedical case (but the ideas there proposed are easily
> generalizable):
> http://genomebiology.com/2005/6/5/R46
> I would be very interested to hear of other ontological frameworks
> which support reasoning with part-whole and similar relations in the
> way that is outlined here (thus for example which allow you
> to infer from
>
> Ottawa instance_of capital city
> capital city part_of country
>
> to:
> Ottawa part_of country
>
> (I still, in spite of Michael's     (03)

MW: It's Matthew, but I'll forgive you.    (04)

> claims, cannot see how his     (05)

MW: It is not mine but ISO's and is the work of many.    (06)

> oil
> ontology     (07)

MW: It is not an ontology of Oil, but to support the integration and
handover of large engineering artefacts that has been developed by
the Oil and Gas and Process Plant industries. The kind of inference
you are looking for is quite core to the requirements of such
an ontology.    (08)

> [ISO 15926] can support such inferences.)

MW: I understand your difficulty because you are used to different
formalisms. I have a sub-relation that has a relationship to the two
objects that you relate. I can see by inspection, that if I join (in
relational terms) my two relations I get yours.    (09)

MW: That you do not see this does no make it untrue.    (010)

MW: I will happily take you (or anyone else who is interested) through
this the next time you are in London, since I guess the gap in
understanding is too wide for the written word.    (011)

Regards    (012)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (013)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (014)