[ontac-forum] parts and Context --was Surveyed Ontology "Library" System

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:44:33 -0500
'Context' is used in different ways at different times, even by the
same person.  For the case of precision in semantic relations,
specialized relations can be defined so that they can only be used with
arguments from specialized classes.  The specialized classes then form
what I would consider the "context" of that relation and its meaning.
In the case of "hasSubSequence" we might define it as applicable only
to polynucleotide sequences, or more broadly to RNA, DNA and protein
sequences.  Where there are useful distinctions to make, I would prefer
the greater degree of specialization, and would create and apply a
specialized subsequence relation for polynucleotide sequences, which
then would form the 'context' for the relation and its interpretation.
   One useful side-effect is that when we use modularized ontologies,
someone who is not using the polynucleotide module would never see that
specialized "hasSubSequence" relation.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way