ontac-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

[ontac-forum] FW: Current Federal Executive Branch (FEB) Use of Ontology

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:31:39 -0400
Message-id: <878871F15E22CF4FA0CCFDD27A763B2F0365DB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi: 

The CC EA, by leveraging the OMB FEA and by encompassing the evolving outline of Federal Executive Branch (FEB) Mission Essential Functions (MEF), is probably the first implementation of a COSMO-based Federal executable architecture.

For further information on what I suggest regarding a “general ontology’ for use as the COSMO, below is a comment I posted to the KM.gov forum a few months back. 

The CC EA status briefing I presented to the CIO Council’s Architecture and Infrastructure Committee (AIC) is at http://web-services.gov/CIO_COUNCIL_BRIEF_JUL05-rr3.ppt.  Slide 6 shows the relationship between the OMB FEA and the broader CC EA.  Slide 7 identifies some of the “operational/executable” aspects of the CC EA.  Slide 8 gives an overview of the CC EA (i.e., enterprise management) metaschema.  Slide 9 provides a simplified Framework Model for the CC EA.  A more comprehensive CC EA Framework (i.e., CC Ontology) model is at http://colab.cim3.net/forum//ontac-forum/2005-10/bin00002.bin.  Slide 12 provides a mapping of the CC EA approach to the OMG Model Driven Architecture.

The subsequent more-technical briefing to the IAC EA SIG is located at http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/2005-09-14/IAC-EA-SIG_Aug5.ppt

The next version, with more detail, at http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/2005-09-14/RoebuckSICop2005_09_14.ppt was presented to the SICoP on 14 Sep 05.   

Roy

CommIT Enterprises, Inc.

Enterprise Architecture for Enterprise Management, Security, and Knowledge

Roy Roebuck III
Senior Enterprise Architect

2231 Crystal Drive, Ste 501
Arlingon, VA

roy.roebuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

mobile:
fax:  
direct:

+1 (703)-598-2351
+1 (703) 486-5540
+1 (703) 486-5506

Add me to your address book...

From: KMWG [mailto:KM-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roy Roebuck
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 1:13 PM
To: KM-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Current Federal Executive Branch (FEB) Use of Ontology-Modeliing and KM Approach for Enterprise Architecture (EA)

Hello:

I've been subscribing to this list for a while, but have not actively participated to date.  However, my current program/project status currently gives me the opportunity for more active participation.  Therefore, I'd like to give a presentation on my current program to your two fora (i.e., CIM3 and KM-List), at your convenience.

I've been presenting the approach to government and industry EA fora over the past few weeks, and it seems a natural progression to present it to the various government KM fora.  Your interest could help promote the involvement of the government KM, EA, CC, and other stakeholders in my client's Program.

My current U.S. Government EA project, now completing its last deliverable, is using a Model Driven Architecture (MDA) four-layer metamodel approach of my design to develop the enterprise architecture to enable day-to-day management of the continuity communications (CC) capability of the U.S. FEB's priority mission essential functions. 

We are taking an ontology-based approach to the CC EA, treating and managing the resultant EA as a dynamic, online, distributed/replicated knowledge-base.  I would emphasize here that my background is not IT, but rather functional and enterprise management and management analysis.  In those capacities I became involved in 1982 in IT, Data, and KM fields in relation to my other management improvement duties.  Since then I have served as the "CIO equivalent" of a large military organization, as an EA for an even larger organization, and then in various IT Management and Management Consultant roles since them.

As a technical overview, consider the following.

Our MDA M3-layer EA repository technology is an ontology and knowledge management product using standard SQL/ODBC databases.  The M3-layer object model is a superset of the OpenGroup's object metaschema, focused on my metaschema for enterprise management and engineering (EME).  We call the full M3-layer our Architecture Engine.

The M2-layer contains the EME metaschema and the methodology for populating and tailoring it to specific EA variant efforts, resulting in an integrating upper ontology for EME.  The structure of the EA metaschema consists of a core of seven physical and conceptual universe "reference catalogs" as taxonomies providing a superset of the U.S. OMB FEA Reference Models; and seven relation-types focused on physical and conceptual pairs of associations between catalog entries. 

The seven reference catalogs are:

·       location (e.g., physical, virtual, conceptual),
·       organization (e.g., government, commercial, private),
·       organization unit (e.g., offices, programs, projects, positions, roles),
·       function (e.g., executive, production, and support functions encompassing the OMB FEA BRM, the DoD UJTLS, the industry NAICS),

·       process (i.e., process decomposed to procedure, template, metadata, and business rules, linked to loosely and tightly-coupled applications and their data, aggregated back up to deployable web services registered through the EA repository),

·       resource (e.g., people, situational and environmental intelligence, funds, skills, materiel, facilities, services, space, energy, time)

·       mission (i.e., quantitative, qualified, and scheduled requirements for resources, as inputs, controls, outputs, and mechanisms, over the requirement life cycle).

The seven relation types between the catalogs and their entries are:

·       Categorization (to build the Catalogs' content into their respective taxonomies)
·       Containment (to show composition and distribution relations between catalog entries)
·       Sequence (to shown chronological dependency between catalog entries)
·       Change (to show the past, present, and possible future state of a catalog entry, such as a mission)
·       Equivalence (to show that one catalog entry is the same as or rough equivalent to another entry, useful in normalizing vocabularies as in a thesaurus).

·       Variance (to show that one entry in a catalog is the is the foundation of another entry)
·       Reference (to show that one catalog entry provides details or other reference information about another entry.

The process for populating and maintaining the "EA as KB" and broader EME content of the repository is achieved by starting and then iteratively following a 32 step data collection and refinement process as part of a broader strategic management life cycle process designed to concurrently support the performance management of the enterprise and its functions.

The M1-layer EA framework (as an EA ontology and a user-specified set of information product designs) leverages and extends the OMB FEA within the broader EME metaschema, and enables inclusion of the variant "EA Profiles" in each FEB Department and Agency (D&A).  The M1-layer enables the integration of various divergent EA into the normalizing "common ground" of the M2-layer EME structure and life cycle management process.  The M1 and M2 layers together provide a "translation" mechanism for the variant M1 EA of the D&A, while providing the integrated/normalized/whole-enterprise M2 view of the aggregate EA content.

The M0-layer is the set of populated M1 EA profiles from the D&A, incorporated into commonly available public FEB information collected and modeled the M2-layer in the Reference Catalogs (with their standard Relation Types), to provide both an enterprise-optimal aggregate EA, and the enterprise-suboptimal D&A variant EA seen in the context of the broader FEB EA.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the KM listserv, please contact john.andre@xxxxxxxx

http://colab.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontac-forum/
Shared Files: http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/ontac/
Community Wiki: 
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [ontac-forum] FW: Current Federal Executive Branch (FEB) Use of Ontology-Modeliing and KM Approach for Enterprise Architecture (EA), Roy Roebuck <=