[ontac-forum] Follow up question on Ontology, knowledge, language confus

To: <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:38:04 -0400

Adan Pease pointed out that we often confuse the ambiguity in language and the locaility of knowledge with ontology.  I wanted to ask about this distinction but there there wasn't time for it, but it might be worth discussing here so our concepts and methods are clear.

The thrust of my issue is that while a completed ontology might avoid the issues of language and knowledge, the process of developing an ontology runs into both of these.  Our expertise has knowledge problems and our discussion of different concepts to merge uses language to communicate our ideas on this and so the resulting ontology product may reflect these problems....Of course we may have methods to resolve these, but shouldn't think that an automatic process.  Ontologies aren't built by tools, but by us using tools.

Thoughts?

Gary Berg-Cross
EM&I
Potomac, MD