ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] Purpose

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:40:00 -0500
Arun,    (01)

 Thank you for the response, and comments.    (02)

 I see the distinction you  make between the rules (impressed from outside
the system, or ontology), and the ontology itself.  I think that to be
"complete" (if such a thing is possible) that the identified concepts and
relations within the ontology must allow for sufficient levels of identity
and specification to allow for any number of rulesets (supporting whatever
interaction is desired within the universe of discourse).    (03)

 I have been playing around the idea of a multi-modal ontological model -
so far, similar to my thoughts about sufficient levels of identity detail
within entities and relations, I have viewed this as being supportable
within a single ontological model that can support a range of modes.  The
alternative to this (which is a relatively stable ontology describing a
dynamic system) is a dynamic ontology, where different conceptual
definitions of entities and relations could occur at different modes.    (04)

Chuck    (05)

Charles Turnitsa
Lab Manager/Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
7000 College Drive
Suffolk, Virginia 23435
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
(757) 686-6214 (fax)