ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Too many axioms spoil the broth

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:11:23 -0000
Dear Barry and John,    (01)

I see Barry is forced to hold a counter-intuitive view
again by his artificial separation into 3D and 4D objects.    (02)

See below.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (05)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

MW: Good heavens! We are supposed to believe then that all that air
whirling about is not a process! Of course I agree that it is also
a physical object. It takes considerable mass moving at considerable
speed to flatten a tree. But this is just another very good example
of an object that is both a process and a physical object. Barry's
problem is that he cannot admit that, since it would mean the same
object being both 3D and 4D. So he has to suggest this somewhat
counter-intuitive view. An alternative and equally counter-intuitive
move is to suggest that there are two Katrionas, a Katriona physical
object and a Katriona process with doubtless one participating in
the other. All to maintain the position that rather than a presentist
view on reality being just that, a view, that it is actually the
underlying reality.    (08)