nics-forum

[nics-forum] Attachments provided re November 2, 2005 NICS Meeting - "NI

To: "NICS Forum" <nics-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew Reamer" <AREAMER@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:41:07 -0400

I apologize for the multiple e-mailings—for some reason, our mail merge is not sending the attachments through. You should now find the agenda and introductory piece on metadata attached.

Dear Colleague,

You are cordially invited to attend the upcoming meeting of the National Infrastructure for Community Statistics (NICS) Community of Practice (CoP), to be held from 8:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 2, 2005, at The Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. This symposium, entitled “NICS and Metadata: Joys, Sorrows, and Payoffs,” will explore how we can best manage the vitally important metadata dimension of NICS. After a brief tutorial on the basics of metadata, we will address the following questions: What metadata are essential for NICS-ready data sets? What resources are available to help data providers prepare these metadata as painlessly as possible? What resources are available to help data users draw on metadata to integrate or compare data from multiple data sets? How can NICS encourage the preparation and effective use of metadata?

For your information, attached please find the agenda for the November 2 meeting and a short introduction to the wonderful world of metadata. The upcoming gathering is the second meeting of the NICS CoP in our “initiation phase.” The CoP will meet several times over the next year for the purposes of education, information sharing, networking, receiving updates, and furthering the development of NICS towards an “implementation phase.”

NICS is intended as a nationwide Web-based broker facilitating public and private decisionmakers’ access to detailed, current community-level statistics from thousands of local, state, federal, and commercial data sources. The NICS CoP is comprised of over 150 individuals—from a variety of government, nonprofit, and commercial realms—working collaboratively on the design, construction, and governance of NICS.

We hope that you, or a representative of your organization, will be able to participate in the research symposium on November 2. A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. A conference call option, with a live Web connection to presentations and documents, is available if you are unable to attend in person. Please RSVP by October 27 to Lisa Morales at lmorales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or 202-797-6131 and let us know whether you plan to participate in person or by conference call.

We hope you will be able to join us in a discussion on this topic of great importance to the development of NICS.

Sincerely yours,

Andrew Reamer

Deputy Director, Urban Markets Initiative, The Brookings Institution

Andrew Reamer, Fellow and Deputy Director

Urban Markets Initiative

The Brookings Institution

1775 Massachusetts Ave., NW

Washington, DC  20036