nics-forum

[nics-forum] NICS Manager position open for applications!

To: "NICS Forum" <nics-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew Reamer" <AREAMER@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:21:08 -0400

Dear NICS Community of Practice participants,

I’m pleased to tell you that Brookings has posted the opening for the new position of NICS Manager. As the development of NICS has moved from the Learning Phase to the Initiation Phase (from “planning” to “doing”), we require a full-time staff person to manage the process. I strongly encourage you to let your professional colleagues and acquaintances know about this position, which can be viewed directly at:  http://www.brookings.edu/admin/metro7805.htm.

The successful applicant will play the key role in guiding the NICS CoP through a complex process around a complex subject, with enormous potential for improvements in the availability and accessibility of small area data nationwide. With over 200 people involved, the NICS CoP is a terrific resource for getting the word out. Please take a moment and consider to whom you might send the job announcement—your help will be important in leading us to good candidates. If you have any questions about the position, please do not hesitate to contact me.

While I have your attention, I want to give you an update of recent, current, and upcoming NICS activities:

·         The June 30th CoP meeting (“The Emerging Toolkit for NICS”), explored the work of a number of NSF Digital Government Program grantees. The tools they presented have the potential to be services available on NICS or to otherwise aid in the development of NICS. (Presentations can be viewed at http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NationalInfrastructureforCommunityStatistics/CoPMeeting_2005_06_30NICS.) Meeting participants were quite excited about a number of tools in development. Kudos to NICS consultant Valerie Gregg for organizing the session; we are meeting with Valerie this week to examine the possibilities for encouraging further development of these and other tools and bringing them into NICS.

·         The Operations Committee has approved a web survey of users of community data, to be announced and unveiled after Labor Day. The intent of the survey is to better ascertain the needs of users of community data, so that NICS can be more appropriately designed.

·         The fall meeting of the CoP will focus on the topic of metadata. The success of NICS depends on our ability to manage the dimension of metadata, e.g., determining what metadata to require, what quality to accept, and what incentives to provide. NICS consultant Cindy Taeuber is preparing background papers to guide us on this topic. The Program Committee is meeting this month to set a date and design the agenda for the fall meeting.

·         The Program Committee is preparing an announcement, to be released after Labor Day, on the NICS Affiliates Program. NICS Affiliates will be involved in community statistical efforts that can serve as important participants in the development of, and providing content to, NICS.

Thanks again for your participation in the NICS CoP. We look forward to your friends applying for the NICS job, and to seeing you in the fall.

Sincerely,

Andy Reamer

Andrew Reamer, Deputy Director

Urban Markets Initiative