geo-forum

Re: [geo-forum] Learning Objectives for EA 2005 Conference Sessio n on N

To: Geospatial CoP developing a profile for the FEA <geo-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Cullis, Brian, Col, OSD-ATL" <Brian.Cullis@xxxxxxx>, geo-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Geospatial CoP developing a profile for the FEA <geo-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Smith.Brenda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:28:39 -0400
Doug,    (01)

You've just written a good portion of our Geospatial Profile
Introduction chapter!    (02)

Thanks!
Brenda    (03)

Brenda J. Smith
Geospatial Information Officer
Office of Environmental Information
US Environmental Protection Agency
202.564.2034
smith.brenda@xxxxxxx    (04)

             Doug Nebert
             <ddnebert@xxxxxx
             ov>                                                     To
             Sent by:                 Geospatial CoP developing a
             geo-forum-bounce         profile for the FEA
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx         <geo-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                     cc
                                      "Cullis, Brian, Col, OSD-ATL"
             07/15/2005 11:42         <Brian.Cullis@xxxxxxx>,
             AM                       geo-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                Subject
                                      Re: [geo-forum] Learning
              Please respond          Objectives for EA 2005 Conference
                    to                Sessio n on NGEA
              Geospatial CoP
               developing a
             profile for the
                   FEA
             <geo-forum@colab
                .cim3.net>                                                  (05)

Feinberg, Daniel, CTR, OSD-ATL wrote:
> All -
>
> I would also suggest as additional agenda items for the "NGEA Learning    (06)

> Event":
>
> + What is the NGEA in relation to the UGEA?
> + What is the NGEA in relation to the FEA Geospatial Profile? How are
> they similar or different?
> + What is the role of the FGDC in shaping and sustaining the NGEA?
> + What is the role of the NSDI, GOS, and the National Map in relation
> the NGEA, UGEA, and FEA Geospatial Profile?
>    (07)

I have some suggested answers below.    (08)

> This would go a long way to help clarify the sometimes confusing
> relationship between these various federal and national "geo"
> initiatives and investments.
>
> Regards,
> Dan Feinberg
> Defense Installation Spatial Data Infrastructure (DISDI)
> Chief Architect
> Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Installations and Environment,
> Business Transformation Directorate
> DUSD/I&E(BT)
> 703.604.4616
>    (09)

In practice it appears that the *GEA terms are somewhat Overtaken By
Events in our Community of Practice discussions. There may be a notional    (010)

set of patterns that we might recognize nationally as a Geospatial
Enterprise Architecture, but it fact we are recognizing that there are
not, rationally, Geospatial EA's that are isolated from the agency and
program EAs. To this end we have adopted the approach of building a
Geospatial Profile of Enterprise Architecture to appeal to all levels of    (011)

government, and all aspects of business-oriented EA, with a specific
(but not exclusive) audience being FEA architects and CIO staff.    (012)

I would humbly suggest that we retire the use and promotion of NGEA and
UGEA in deference to providing geospatial guidance to EA practices -- a
symmetric approach to the other FEA Profiles.    (013)

The FGDC's role is one of supporting intergovernmental coordination of
all things geospatial, and as such has assumed the responsibility to
convene and underwrite document collation and facilitation support on
this task. The CoP is recognized as an FGDC Working Group to increase
awareness and involvement by FGDC members. It is also convened under the    (014)

CIO Council AIC for visibility by the non-geospatial IT managers in the
federal government.    (015)

What is the role of the GOS, National Map, and NSDI in these efforts?
The Geospatial One-Stop is made concrete through its search and
visualization services of community geographic data and services at
geodata.gov. As such, the adoption of Geospatial profile practices will
increase visibility into and access to available resources of domestic
interest. The National Map is a key set of data layers backed by map and    (016)

data services of national scope that will be managed and advertised
using the Geospatial Profile guidance. The NSDI is the fuzzy, umbrella
activity that overlies all these geospatial efforts that is realized
through coordinated efforts by all participants. The NSDI benefits by
having adopted practices and standards as would be espoused in the
Profile and promoted through groups like the FGDC, NSGIC, NACO, NASCIO
and others who all have an interest in things working well together.    (017)

Doug.    (018)

--    (019)

Douglas D. Nebert
Geospatial Data Clearinghouse Coordinator, Information Architect
FGDC/GSDI Secretariat   Phone: +1 703 648 4151  Fax: +1 703 648-5755    (020)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GeoSpatialCommunityofPractice    (021)