cuo-wg

[cuo-wg] U.S. DoD WG expresses interest in upper ontologies

To: <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Schoening, James R Mr CIV USA AMC" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:00:02 -0400
Cross-Domain Semantic Interoperability WG,    (01)

        Things have been quiet lately in this group, but here's
something members may wish to participate in.    (02)

        The U.S. DoD Ucore WG is exploring upper ontologies and is
interested in the pros/cons of those that exist. Their interest is
posted at http://data.army.mil/universal_core_wg.html and inserted
below.      (03)

        I should explain my role in this.  I'm now working in the U.S.
Army's Net-Centric Data Strategy Center of Excellence.  I was not the
person to suggest DoD Ucore WG explore use of an upper ontology, but I
suggested they ask related groups for evaluations of available upper
ontologies, and I offered to have my office host the public web site for
this announcement.  I will not have much time to participate in this
evaluation. So, this is up to the members of this group who see the
opportunity in this statement of interest.      (04)

Jim Schoening    (05)

Below is text of statement posted at
http://data.army.mil/universal_core_wg.html
=========================================================    (06)

U.S. Department of Defense
Universal Core (UCore) Working Group
Statement of Interest in Upper Ontologies    (07)

The DoD Universal Core Working Group is exploring the use of an upper
ontology in conjunction with its Universal Core (UCore) data model. We
are interested in the advantages and disadvantages of each available
upper ontology, and we suspect other projects may also be interested.
Additional information can be found by searching on "Universal Core"
+DoD.    (08)

Groups and individuals with expertise in this field are invited to
conduct and share their analysis of available upper ontologies.     (09)

We are not requesting a recommendation, but rather an analysis of the
advantages and disadvantages of available upper ontologies.     (010)

We encourage interested groups and individuals to publicly post their
analysis and to provide a link to this page so all can share in the
results.     (011)

Links to Groups
Links to Individuals
Links to Papers and Studies
Links to Forums & Blogs
This page is provided by the U.S. Army CIO/G-6 Net-Centric Data Strategy
Branch in support of the DoD UCore Working Group.     (012)

Website Disclaimer | Privacy and Security | Accessibility Statement     (013)