cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Technical maturity models

To: common upper ontology working group <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Brad Cox" <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:19:19 -0500
Sending again via another account...    (01)

Both of those models seem mature from an IT perspective (decades), but neither
is very mature from that of truly mature manufacturing domains like gunmaking
(centuries) or plumbing (millinea).    (02)

The most mature state we know of (today) is characterized by industry-wide
consensus standards, automated production tools, and robust inspection gauges,
which appear in neither of these models. Both culminate in the cut to fit
crafsmanship ("does it work, not does it comply with the specification) that
dominated musket making before the industrial revolution. Muskets worked well
enough before then, but interchangeable parts made it possible to redefine
"good enouogh" to an entirely new levels of performance, cost, repairability,
etc.    (03)

I know, it is unfair to apply such a stringent maturity model to CDSI (or even
IT) in their infancy. But entirely relevant in the context of a discusssion of
what the advanced stages of a maturity model should be.     (04)

--
Brad Cox, Ph.D: Enterprise Architect, Binary Group
  Mail: bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Phone: 703 361 4751