cuo-wg

[cuo-wg] Achieving Semantic Interoperability and Integration Using RDF a

To: "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:35:38 -0800
TITLE: Achieving Semantic Interoperability and Integration Using RDF and
OWL    (01)

ABSTRACT: Semantic interoperability means enabling different agents,
services, and applications to exchange information, data and knowledge,
on and off the Web.  To enable semantic interoperability agents,
services, and applications need either to share the same mutually
understood vocabulary or to create correspondences (i.e. mappings)
between their different vocabularies. One of the design goals of  RDF
and OWL is to provide the means to specify such mappings. This note
provides guidance on how OWL and RDF can be used to enable semantic
interoperability.    (02)

We briefly characterize what we mean by semantic interoperability, and
what the challenges are. We describe some RDF and OWL constructs that
are designed to support semantic interoperability and illustrate them
with examples. We highlight their strengths and limitations. The main
strengths are the ability to express equivalence and other logical
relationships between concepts, properties and individuals in different
ontologies. One main weakness is the lack of support for procedural
functions (e.g. arithmetic, string manipulation) that are needed for
mapping between many real-world ontologies.    (03)

Working Draft: http://cmenzel.org/SWBP/SII.html    (04)

Michael Uschold
M&CT, Phantom Works
425 373-2845
michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx

COOL TIP: to skip the phone menu tree and get a human on the phone, go
to: http://gethuman.com/tips.html     (06)