cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] FW: Executable English cross domain examples online

To: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: common upper ontology working group <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:57:57 -0500
Hi Jim --

You wrote....

   where would you say EE falls on the Semantic Spectrum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_spectrum?

As you may see, Wikipedia defines 6 levels on its semantic spectrum.  The 6th, "most semantic ", level in Wikipedia is "ontology".

I'd argue that  that spectrum is inward looking towards 80s and early 90s mainstream IT, and needs to be extended  because it does not look outward to the users and uses of IT.   Modern IT can do much more in this direction.

As argued in [1,2,3],  what Wikipedia describes as levels 1 through 6 could usefully be grouped together as Semantics1,
(aka data semantics), which captures under 50% of the operational value of the semantic techniques now available.

We can build on Semantics1 with Semantics2, which  specifies what consequences should follow from any collection of data and logical statements [4].  In other wordsSemantics2 specifies what a rule engine or theorem prover should be able to do with any future collection of logical knowledge.   (This is different from current practice in commercial rule base systems, in which programmers figure out on a case-by-case basis whether the rules are leading to the intended consequences.)   Perhaps with Semantics1 + Semantics2 we have 75% of the available semantic value.

However, as mentioned in previous posts, logical statements are famously difficult to interpret reliably in ordinary English, a big minus for CDSI and other tasks.   This means that it's difficult for knowledge authors to get things right, and its difficult for end users to trust the results enough to act on them.

We can build further on Semantics1 + Semantics2, by adding Semantics3, which automatically, bidirectionally and accurately ties the meaning of ordinary (open vocabulary, open syntax) English sentences to the logical statements in Semantics2.

Now, if we can make Semantics1, 2, and work together properly in one system , we are close to  being able to exploit  the full operational value of Semantics, for CDSI and other tasks.

That's what  Executable English and the Internet Business Logic system are designed to do.

One consequence of the design is that the system can explain its results, in English, at the business level.  It can also explain in English what the transaction will do, and why it will do it, before the transaction is committed.

Full natural language understanding by computers is generally agreed to be an unsolved problem, and  the
design of the Internet Business Logic system goes around the problem rather trying to solve it.  It does this via a lightweight approach to Semantics3.  The approach has the advantage of accuracy and robustness in the face of  new words, phrases and jargons -- e.g. government acronyms, military English.  There is a trade off, and one reason for making the system available online to anyone with a browser is so that they can evaluate this.

I hope this makes sense, and I'll be glad to discuss further .

                                                 Best regards to all on the list,      -- Adrian

[1]  www.semantic-conference.com/program/sessions/S2.html

[2]  www.reengineeringllc.com/A_Wiki_for_Business_Rules_in_Open_Vocabulary_Executable_English.pdf

[3]  Understandability and Semantic Interoperability of Diverse Rules Systems
       www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/paper/19

[4]    Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is Simple Enough to be
        Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete. Journal of Automated Reasoning, 11:1-22

Internet Business Logic (R)
Executable open vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
                                Shared use is free