cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Executable English vs FOL for all domains run time interope

To: bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:20:12 -0500
Hi Brad --

Thanks for your  comments.

As I understand it, you raise two main issues.

1.  Is it really English?

2.  Propriatryness

I'll try to address these in order.

1. Is it really English?

You say that Executable English is "based on english only in the sense that Java, Objective-C and Cobol are" and  "this is as much english as cobol was, albeit with less procedural, more rule-oriented semantics "

Well, I guess a key question is whether it's useful for current purposes, rather than whether or not it's like Cobol.

(By the way, changing the order of the rules does not change what is derivable -- a rule just means what it says.  This is a different rule semantics from any other I know about, and arguably better for current purposes.)

So, getting back to "like Cobol".....  I don't see anyone proposing to do ontology-based interoperability in Cobol.  The language of choice so far seems to be some flavor of FOL.

As mentioned, the Internet Business Logic system maps EE automatically to and from an internal FOL-like notation.  The hoped for advantage of writing in EE rather than in FOL is that person B will have a better chance of actually understanding what person A wrote. (It's famously difficult to stare at a complex FOL _expression_ and make an accurate English gloss of what it's supposed to mean).  One could think of EE as just a good way documenting FOL, and making sure that the documentation and the FOL never get out of step.  It also provides support for explanations for non-technical users.

A curious property of the approach is that EE is somewhat agnostic about what you write.  So, if you actually need to write more or less directly in executable FOL, you can do so.  For example, in

   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RelBioOntDefn3.agent

there are rules such as

some-C and some-C1 are two different Non-process classes with instances
not : (E c,t) [ that-C c t and not (E c1) [ that-C1 c1 t and c part_of c1 at t ] ]
(A c,t) [ that-C c t => (E c1) [ that-C1 c1 t and c part_of c1 at t ] ]

You are welcome to run the agent.  Of course, the resulting explanations will be mainly of interest to technical folks who know how to read this sort of stuff.

2.  Propriatryness

You wrote "People are sensitive to proprietary languages/compilers because they're locked to that language and that vendor by the programs they write."

Agreed, propriatryness is a problem for many folks.  It's hopefully mitigated by having the Internet Business Logic system available free for shared use on the web, as opposed to shrink wrap or fee-for-download.    (As mentioned, I have suggested that the  language could be of interest for a W3C standard **.   If that happened, there would  then be different implementations of the standard, and presumably some of them would be proprietary, with competition on inference speed and other features.)

"wiki pages are just text that can be exported if need be and used anywhere"

An EE file can be copy-pasted and used anywhere -- used in the sense of documentation that has actually been tested.  It's a fairly easy task to translate the file manually into FOL.  (The reverse translation can be quite difficult.)

I hope the above helps with the issues you rightly raise.  To what extent do you think that open sourcing the Internet Business Logic system would solve the proprietaryness problem?

                                        Cheers,  -- Adrian

**  www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/paper/19

Adrian Walker
Reengineering