cuo-wg

[cuo-wg] FW: Help with the White Paper

To: cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:27:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Alvidrez, CEA [mailto:frank.alvidrez@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 2:02 PM
To: Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6
Subject: Help with the White Paper

Jim,

Good discussion.

Couple of items:

Please include me in your group to help with the white paper.  I can contribute the relationship between what we're trying to do in the CDSI WG and the DoDAF / GiG / Interoperability implications.   I am one of the strange birds that actually see the links because I have feet in both camps.  I also see a parallel between what this CoI and the original C4ISR working group out of INCOSE tried to do early in the formation of the C4ISR Framework that then morphed into the DoDAF Framework.  I am going to go back in my notes and get some names from the DoD side of some of the "embattled envisioners" that had this long range quest.

I also might want to suggest that we look at the Top Quadrant's "Solution Envisioning through Capability Cases" for how to turn a "vision" into a successful project.

http://www.capabilitycases.org/

This is an excellent way to bring some sense to a tough development project or a "vision" that needs to be executed.  It's the plan for the plan.  As we discussed before, somewhere and someplace there is an DoD executive that will have the clairvoyance to see what we're trying to do here and put some backing into it.  We just need to be prepared for that time and keep pushing to find a champion.  Champion's imply budget and it will take some budget to do what we need done.  Once again, I will review my notes and see if I can come up with how the C4ISR WG originally started.

Their vision was to have everybody on the same sheet of music.

I copied this out of their final report a number of years back:

In 1995, DoD chartered a C4ISR Integration Task Force (ITF) comprised of the major

Command, Service, and Agency stakeholders to define and develop better means and

processes to ensure C4ISR capabilities most effectively meet warfighter needs. The ITF

met that tasking by developing actionable recommendations to improve the key DoD

processes (e.g., architectures, requirements, resource allocation, acquisition) that impact

the ability of C4ISR to support warfighters and decision makers effectively.

On 18 October 1996, the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Command, Control,

Communications, and Intelligence (ASD[C3I]) and the Joint Staff, J6 chartered a C4ISR

Architecture Working Group (AWG) to refine and extend the architecture and

interoperability assessment recommendations put forward by the C4ISR ITF:

" The ... IAP ... developed very promising concepts and recommendations for the

application of architectures to support the improved integration of C4ISR capabilities

within DoD. We believe that most of the IAP recommendations warrant the eventual

mandate of the Deputy Secretary of Defense ... we think it is prudent to establish a

process ... that is intended to evolve, validate and mature ... the IAP's recommendations

in a collaborative environment prior to formal mandate."

-          Joint Staff (J6), PDASD(C3I) 18 October 1996

The reason I draw a parallel is that they have come almost full circle.  They started with a DoD requirement to fill a void.  They worked it through a COI to policy and it has been accepted and adopted as a standard including the tool vendors.  I can go out a purchase a license for a program that will help me be compliant and help with my integrated architectures.  I think that is a similar path for this project.

Frank