cuo-wg

[cuo-wg] Cross-Domain Semantic Interoperability

To: cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:44:41 -0400

Greetings CUO-WG Subscribers,

        The Honorable John G. Grimes, Assistant Secretary of Defense (Networks & Information Integration) and DoD CIO, stated in a keynote speech in Aug 2006, "We are making progress with Communities of Interest, but we must now work on interoperability between them..."   [Not exact wording]

        I propose we change the name (and focus) of this group to "Cross-Domain Semantic Interoperability WG (CDSI-WG)," for the following reasons:

                a. CDSI-WG expresses the 'objective,' as opposed to Common Upper Ontology WG, which expresses one technical solution.   It will be easier to build understanding and support for the objective, after which we can present the candidate technologies.

                b. There could be alternatives to the Common Upper Ontology approach, which we should explore and support. For example, the Upper Ontology Summit in March 2005 (see http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit ) proposed a solution consisting of a 'small set of mapped upper ontologies.'

        If we agree on this new focus, I propose the following thrusts:

                a. Build participation
                b. Develop list of candidate solutions
                c. Review enabling technologies and Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of each candidate solution
                d. Identify work efforts that will mature the TRL of each candidate solution
                e. Package findings into briefing charts that members can use to build understanding and support
                f. Encourage self-organizing independent teams to propose and manage projects

        Let's first discuss this within the this subgroup, and then recruit additional particication from SICOP and other forums.

        Our current web site is at http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CommonUpperOntologyWG.

James R. Schoening
US Army C-E LCMC CIO/G6 Office
Voice: DSN 992-5812 or (732) 532-5812