cosmo-dev

RE: [cosmo-dev] Representation of Attributes

To: "[cosmo-dev]" <cosmo-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:45:05 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

You ask about 4D "attributes".    (02)

> 12.  4-Dimensional things.
>    I am still not familiar enough with representation of attributes in
> ISO15926 to know how to relate these ontological representations to
> that idiom.      (03)

MW: ISO 15926 does not really have attributes as such, it deals with
the sorts of things that you are talking about as relationships in the
end to objects that are strings or number-representations. I.e. everything
is treated as an object.    (04)

MW: Amongst the things that are generally treated (in my view as a short
cut) as attributes, we distinguish two main groups:    (05)

1. Those that relate a string or a number-representation to an object
to give it a name, description, or definition. (In the end all human
interpretable elements of the model are these). This is done via a
class_of_representation.    (06)

2. Classification relationships that indicate a status (discrete,
unordered property) or a (physical) property that is a magnitude
that classifies states that possess it, e.g. a particular degree of
hotness. These in turn are mapped to numbers by a scale function
(Unit of Measure). These in turn are represented by strings and
number-representations.    (07)

> One difference is the use there of templates to express
> certain relations:
>    http://www.infowebml.ws/introduction/introduction.htm    (08)

MW: Templates are a way of creating convenient short cuts that are
defined by the underlying ontology, which can sometimes be long winded
because of its precision.

> In figure 1 of the page:
>
>http://www.infowebml.ws/description/ontology-for-templates/ontology-for-templates.htm
>

>   . . . the template ST-3401P appears to function as a
> reified quintary
> relation that has as arguments not only the object and its (numerical)
> attribute, but the generic types of the attribute.  This might be
> translatable by an axiom with several consequents.    (09)

MW: The underlying model is given in the light blue ovals not in the rectangle.
The rectangle shows the objects that would normally be exposed to a human.    (010)

MW: The thing that is unusual perhaps is having both a property type and a base
property type. This can be explained as follows, for a property of say Maximum
Allowable Working Temperature, the property is expressed as a temperature
magnitude, so Temperature is its base property type.

Message Archives: http://colab.cim3.net/forum/cosmo-dev/
Shared Files: http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/ontac/COSMO/
Community Wiki: http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CosmoWG    (012)