caf-forum

[caf-forum] http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Application_Architect

To: <caf-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Craig, Kent" <Kent.Craig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:03:56 -0400

Hope I figure out correctly how to provide input for (2PY8)

I have additional input to offer, but I’d rather see if I get the process right before supplying anything additional.

For your consideration here is a contribution for the Application Architecture definition -

Application Architecture (AA) - provides a logical perspective of an application, describing what different elements of an application do in terms of their roles and responsibility.  AA defines the structure of applications needed to manage the data and support the business functions

In contrast, the technical architecture provides the physical perspective of the application describing how those logical elements are constructed and connected using specific technologies. This separation provides some important benefits:

·         Allows similar applications to be deployed on the same set of hardware resources because the structure of the applications is consistent.

·         Allows the same application architecture to be applied across a variety of technology platforms, such as .NET and J2EE and still have a consistent structure.

The separation of the logical and physical aspects of the architecture is an example of the fundamental architectural principle of separation of concerns, in other words, separating issues to keep independent things independent (uncoupled from each other).

EA Context of AA - Business processes are the work we do to accomplish the mission. Data are the raw facts and business rules we use. Applications are the software tools that operate on data to transact our business. Technology supports the applications for information processing and communications that ultimately support the business. Security supports our responsibility to preserve information assets.

For a single application, the goal of the application architecture is to structure the application so that it meets both its functional and non-functional requirements. This means that it has to provide the required business functionality with sufficient performance, scalability, availability, security, etc. However, enterprise architecture is not concerned with a single application. Rather, it is concerned with the entirety off all the applications. At an enterprise level, the goals of application architecture are much different. They are:

·         Consistency across applications

·         Commonality between applications

·         Interoperability between applications

kent.craig@uspto.gov

Director, Office of Applications Architecture and Services

United States Patent and Trademark Office

OCIO/AETS/OAAS

Madison West, Room 5A35

600 Dulany Street

Alexandria, VA  22313